Re: [Harp-L] tuner

Tim Moyer <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can't imagine trying to tune very much using a $30 tuner. In that
case, I would probably use the tuner to set a reference reed and tune
the rest of the harp relative to the reference rather than to the
tuner.

-tim

  Yes, Tim's right, that's really the only way to do it very well. Use the tuner for reference pitch at 1 blow, etc., then tune the rest of the harp by ear from that. I've got a friend who tunes harmonicas for a living at a harp factory, he says for tuning his stuff at home, he uises a Petersen strobe tuner sometimes, but it is not as accurate a tuner as his ear. Most of us will probably never get to that point, my ear is not as accurate, but there is some potential there if you're willing to train the ear.
  All that said, it would be easier to buy a strobe tuner.

  Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
  Elk River Harmonicas
  www.elkriverharmonicas.com