RE: [Harp-L] Standing at the chromatic

> I'm the guy who submitted the post about the difficulties I
> experience trying to play the standard chromatic. The problem I have
> is not that I expect it to be the same as the diatonic. I know what
> the differences are and I have a reasonable understanding of how the
> chromatic works. BUT, if I'm improvising at a medium or fast tempo I
> tend to "lose my place." I'm frequently unable to keep track of what
> note I am playing by ear alone. And, if I hit the button at the wrong
> time, it's a mistake everyone in the room will notice.
> I don't have a problem keeping track of where i am on the diatonic
> because 1) there are fewer holes on the diatonic and 2) since most of
> the intervals on a diatonic are different, each hole has a different
> "feel" in the mouth to an experienced player.
> Other than ear training (which I could probably use) does anyone
> have any suggestions on how to keep track of where you are when
> improvising on a chrom at fast tempo?
> JP

I play the chromatic extremely occasionally and the 10-hole diatonic nearly always.   Because I'm lazy and don't practise enough the problems I have with the chromatic are (1) those doubled-up tonic notes at 4-5 and 8-9 blow, and (2) the fact that the blow-draw pattern in the top octave is the same as lower down, which is different to what I'm used to on the diatonic harp (unlike blues players, I use that top octave a huge amount).   My brain refuses to accept this, which I find wonderful though frustrating.  The only answer is to play the thing a lot more so as to develop a proper second muscle memory (My wife tells me my brain is a muscle).  Somehow, my brain needs to get a signal from my hands that I'm holding a bigger harp than usual.  It goes against the grain for me, but I think the answer could be in practising scales on the chrom from bottom to top until all notes can be played singly and reliably.

Steve

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000007ukm/direct/01/