[Harp-L] Re: Multiple Harps... or alternate tunings...

Hi Arnold,

There's nothing wrong with using multiple harps, if you are comfortable doing so.

But you may want to try some alternate tuned harps (diatonic 10-holers).  Which tuning you use depends on the song and how the notes layout best
for the song.

The country-tuning was mentioned where the 5 draw is raised a 1/2 step (and sometimes the 9 draw).  Often just changing of the 5 draw is used.

The Paddy Richter tuning has the 3 blow raised a full step (or 2 semi-tones).

The Melody Maker tuning is a combination of the country-tuning and the paddy-richter tuning (3 blow raised a full step, 5 and 9 draw raised a 1/2 step).

There's also the Natural Minor tuning and Harmonica Minor tuning.

Seydel offers these tunings, and the harmonicas are labeled in the key of the 1 blow note (I'm pretty sure of this).

Lee Oskar also sells the Melody Maker and Natural Minors, but they are labeled in 2nd position key (2 draw note), and may seem a little confusing.

You can also swap reed plates from a Melody Maker and Regular Richter (Major) tuned harmonicas, and you will end up with a Paddy Richter and a Country-Tuned.  If you used Lee Oskar harps for the swap you need a C major harp and a G Melody Maker for a C Paddy Richter harp and a C Country Tuned harp.

Select harp keys that best fit your church songs.

An example of one religious song that we often sing in church is "Lead me Lord", and the Melody Maker tuning works perfectly.

Lots of Christmas and Easter songs play well on the MM and PR tunings.

The regular richter (major) harp is still my favorite, but I also like the alternate tunings when bending (or overblowing) just don't sound as good (to me).

Most importantly, have fun !

Ken H in OH