Re: [Harp-L] Standing at the crossroads

How fast do you want to accomplish this?

Go buy a Hohner Slide Harp and you can be playing all the chromatic notes
(all black and white notes on piano) before you get the harp out of the box. I
think they cost about $100 today. The Hohner model comes only in the key of C.
(But you could probably special order one from Seydel in any key you want for
about the same price.) More below.

If you can do blow bends, then you can handle the Promaster and XB40. The
Promaster plays "faster" than the XB40. But talking about it won't do it; you
have to actually spend some time on your own Promaster and XB40 to make a
comparison. (And I don't think borrowing a harp for a few minutes will do the job.)

If you already have a XB40, you know it is as big as a 10-hole chromatic. If
you don't have any problem with the size of the harp and the holes, go with
it.

A lot of people don't like it because it is bigger and doesn't quite behave
like the small 10-hole harp. But then it does so much more. And that is the
second major problem. Since you can get so many bends on it, it is more difficult
to play than a standard 10-hole because it presents more opportunities to hit
the wrong note.

All the notes bend and if you hit a reed with a faulty embouchure you will
accidentally bend it to the wrong note. Chances are, you couldn't do the same
bend if you tried on a standard 10-hole because of its limitations.

You don't mention the Hohner Slide Harp. It is a diatonic set up like a
chromatic. You already know the layout -- where the notes are and where the bends
are. Press the button and you get the extra chromatic notes you want with no
effort. Because it is half-valved like the Promaster, you can also blow bend the
first six holes. The valves just cut down on the air leaks; they don't block
any bends.

As for overblows, there are two parts to the exercise. (1) You have to learn
how to execute them (play them) and then (2) play them on demand in a musical
context and (3) make them "musical" -- they usually sound as musical as a car
horn. I'm sure there are folks on the list that will assure you that you can
master all parts of the overblow in an afternoon.

The standard chromatic -- often called the "complicated" chromatic and
"unusually difficult to master" chromatic -- is another matter. The thing that makes
it complicated to learn is that every octave is exactly like the holes 4-7 on
the diatonic and pushing the lever raises every note a half-step. It is
further complicated the each octave is complete. The blow pattern is CEGC CEGC CE
which gives you double Cs. Unlike the diatonic: CEG CEG CEG C. (There is no gap
in the hole spacing on either harp; it just typed them that way to make it
easier to see the difference.)

Most people find the chromatic nearly impossible to master (judging by
reaction on this list recently) apparently because the layout IS different from the
diatonic and they get lost -- because they EXPECT it to be the same.

Some ppeople think you have to read music to master the chromatic but that is
not true. Most people who play the chromatic can't read music and play in the
key of C. Many of them play it upside down. There are a few exceptions. (If
you don't believe me, check out any SPAH convention or the SlideMeister list.)
The problem with test driving a chromatic is that you have to buy one to test
it and you can't take it back and they cost a lot more than a blues harp.

You could consult with a teacher who plays all three who might be able to
explain better the differences between overblows, valved harps and solo tuned
chromatics.

However, what a teacher is able to do may not work for you. And no matter how
much time you spend on any one of these harps (pick one) you just can't get
it to work.

In short, there are no easy answers. You're gonna have to try each one to
find out.
Hope this helps.
Phil Lloyd