Re: [Harp-L] note refusing to sound after cover plates are attachedd

"Anyway..... the troublesome harp is a Hohner Meisterclass modular system - how did u guess? It
belongs to a friend. I am not a fan of MS.  From my experience, i often see lousy tolerances, poor
gapping, and reeds that sit off-kilter in their slots."
I've never been a fan of MS, either. I'm sorry it was a Meisterklasse, too, I loved that harp back when it was handmade, hated to see it go the way of the Old Standby, which was my favorite when it was a Marine Band clone.
The reason I was thinking that wasn't really because of the off-center reeds, etc. although those are major issues, I was primarily thinking this because the MS series has the coverplate screws doing the reed-plate holding work of at least two reedplate screws on better harps. On other harps, the reedplate screws do 95 percent of the reedplate holding and the coverplate screws' main job is holding the coverplates. Had you tightened the coverplate screws on one of those harps, it would likely have little affect on how the reedplate flattens. You would have had that problem with a reedplate screw, not a coverplate screw.
Thanks for posting that. I really enjoy participating in Harp-L mystery harp theater.
Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com