Re: [Harp-L] diatonic tablature for the chromatic scale

Vern is right about this. There are a few things "that everybody knows" who
reads music. And you need to know these things to make sense out of notation.

The treble clef, also called the G clef because that cursive looking g wraps
around the G line on the five-line staff. The lines are EGBDF (Every Good Boy
Does Fine) and the spaces are FACE like the word face. Flats go down (like a
flat tire) and sharps (like a point) go up. The same note can a flat or sharp
depending where you start. An apartment ceiling is somebody else's floor.
Depends where you stand.

Key signature is that bunch of "b"s or ### at the beginning of each line (or
at least the first line of the tune). That tells you the key (which you can
deduce from your Circle of Fifths which adds a # (sharp) to each key clockwise
from C and adds a b (flat) to each key counter clockwise.

The key of C has no flats or sharps; this is why piano players and harmonica
players like it so much. What you see is what you get. Once they key changes,
the player has to remember which note is no longer what it seems. In the key
of G, every F is no longer an F, it's an F# (half step higher: push the button
in on the chrome). F is the first space inside the treble clef. On the piano,
the black key next to the white F is F#. This is a half-step higher, to the
right.

For flats, going counterclockwise from C on the Circle of Fifths is the key
of F which has Bb (B flat). This means every time you come to a note on the
third line (B) you have to play a note a half-step lower. On the piano, the Bb is
the black key below (left of) the white B.

You can tell what key the key signature stands for by knowing: One sharp (#)
is G, one flat (b) is F. From there, sharp keys: the next note above the far
right sharp. For flat keys, second b from right. (double check with your Circle
of Fifths).

Then the basic major scale: Just like the piano keyboard, start on a C and
every note is a full step (black key + white key) except the 3&4 (E&F) and 7&8
(B&C). This is helpful if your are trying to figure out the I, IV and V chords)
based on the 1st, 4th and 5th note of the scale.

Also, if you are trying to figure out a pentatonic scale or blues scale,
which are all based on the standard everyday major scale.

Why the piano? The piano is the absolutely best way to understand music
notation because it was designed after everybody decided how to write down music.
(oversimplification, but true).

If this all sounds complicated, it's really not. You can either forget about
it or buy a cheap paperback on How to Read Music for a couple of bucks at a
book store or music store.

Remember, confusion is the first step of learning.

Hope this helps.

Phil Lloyd