Re: RE: [Harp-L] showbiz

Michael Peloquin wrote:
> I think that your statement does have merit, but I think that the
> mere fact that you live in a "music city" [Austin, TX] and possibly
> the most diverse music city in America does help. You are also a good
> player, which our instrument needs more of-which will someday result
> in more gigs for all sideman harmonica players.

Don't fool yourself that it's somehow easier to make it as a musician
in a so-called "music city".  It's a double-edged sword.  Austin
attracts great musicians from around the world, which makes for a great
melting pot of talent, and a world of opportunities.  On the other
hand, because of the abundance of musical talent, it tends to be
undervalued by audiences and venues alike.  On any given night you can
find literally hundreds of bands playing in and around Austin, many for
little or no charge.  As a result, it's hard to get paid to play.

I admire people like Michael who are committed to making it in the
music scene in Austin, but there are things thye have to do to make
that happen.  Playing multiple instruments and multiple styles and/or
singing is essential.  Teaching helps.  Recording is another part.  And
it's all about the network, which takes time to develop.  Most
musicians have some other income stream from which they can draw.  I
know guys who manage their own real estate or work day jobs so they can
afford to be musicians.

When the musician won the lottery and the reporter asked him what he
was going to do now, he said, "Keep gigging 'til the money runs out!"

-tim