[Harp-L] Harmonicas and Airport Security

Finally, a topic I know something about.  There is nothing wrong with bringing Harmonicas through a security checkpoint in an airport.  Also, for about the last two years tools smaller that 7 inches are also allowed, as long as they are not too sharp.  Knives are still prohibited.  I retired from TSA one year ago this month, but I do not think the rules have changed.  As a note, harmonicas, depending how they are situated can be very dangerous looking.  I left for San Antonio on Tuesday, from New Orleans and just for kicks I did everything I could to see if I could make them search my bags.  I had a duffle with a Hedrick case with 42 harmonicas on end, and two microphones, and guitar and Mic cables, and adapters along with a camera, etc.  I hoped to find one of the new screeners being that there are numerous ones all across the country, but there was a seasoned veteran running the x-ray machine, who also knew me, and it didn't phase him a bit.  I breezed right through.

If I did not want to be searched, I would probably lay the Harmonicas flat, so the can see them, rather than on the end, or sides.  Keep your cables off the harmonica case, and smile.  A few screeners are mean, and get carried away with their self importance, but most are just normal good people.  You probably got a new screener who did not know what they were.  It happens.  And if you are forced to play it, which shouldn't happen, put out a tip jar.  You never know what you might get.  After all we never play for just our own enjoyment.  I used to make a habit of asking (not demanding) people who were carrying harmonicas to play me a tune. They normally like it, and you get into some interesting conversations.

Just make sure that you are not carrying any green contraband, If you know what I mean.

Thank for thinking of me, Dave

Harvey Berman\

Dave Fertig wrote:
I've flown (always with at least a few harps)quite a bit around the states, Europe, even El Salvador during the war, no probs, except one time a TSA screener in Houston thought my tiny screwdriver was too dangerous to allow on board, so she took it from me. All other times, no sweat.

Even with the big 1969 decal pasted onto my fishing-box/harp-case bearing a clenched fist and with large lettering, "Strike the War Machine!" I've had no real probs, whether as stowed baggage or carry-on.

Our own Harvey B. might know the current TSA parameters, though.  Harvey?