Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Fun with Christel

Michael and Cristelle:

That was my fault....Michael's not wrong in thinking 'someone'  posted about
Christelle  only playing for a short time...I'd  misunderstood her mention of
playing for a year...she intended to convey that  she was playing harmonica
'seriously' for only a year, but had picked up a harp  earlier in life.  I am
still completely blown away by what she's  achieved in her very short time of
seriously playing .and by the knowledge  she's only been OB'ing for 4 months or
so....

I thought she was a genius by reaching the levels she has after only a
year..now I have to revise it to her being merely brilliant ;)

I'm a huge fan, Christelle, and know that you think along the same lines as
Michael does...that of playing the harmonica as if it was any other
horn...(he's  a fabulous saxophone player).  And Christelle started out on the  recorder
and oboe.  Since SmoJoe played/plays clarinet, saxes, trumpet and  I love his
sound too...there must be something in my brain which hears something  in
their playing (Jason's and Chris' too), and relates to those people who have
'other horns' in mind (or as their background skills) when they play.

Emotion's a huge part of it too.  No matter a player's 'technical'  skills,
if they don't infuse their playing with heart and feeling, I'm not  overly
interested. Cristelle plays the lyrics with all of her being - one  can
practically hear the words; using the harp as a vocal instrument.  That's certainly
enough to make me want to listen to everything she's put  on YouTube...and a rare
ability to keep drawing the listener back, in my  book.  I'd feel safe in
predicting that any CD she might record would be a  huge success.

Vive la coeur!

When I first picked up my chromatic (in my current incarnation), my dream
was to get 'that' sound I was hearing from the saxophone players I've been
listening to for so long...which is not to say I don't like the sound of a
harmonica itself. I love the harmonica..I'm talking about (and wish I  could
achieve) that fluidity and depth of soulful tone and sound I hear and love  so much
from saxes and some other horns (if that makes any sense at all). And  it's
what I hear from both of you.

Quick question to Michael: just how does one add 'more staccato'?  I  can
almost understand it from a tongue-blocker's perspective, but for a lip  purser
like me, how would/could I go about it?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

PS: Christelle, if 39 is 'old', then a lot of us are in serious trouble  ;)

********