[Harp-L] What is needed for showbiz...

"But yeah, I think that while harmonica's
'entry level' is a fairly gentle gradient (unlike, say, fiddle) once you get to
'a certain point', it requires just as much skill and dedication as most other
instruments.
   It's just that it is not required for a basic
combo, unless you're putting together some classic lineup like a Muddy
Waters-modelled Chicago blues band.
  If you want to perform on harp, then you have
to make your own opportunities."

I agree with that last statement. I play a lot of slide guitar in
Spanish & Vestapol tunings...it is easier to sing with a guitar resonating on your chest,
than a tiny metal sandwich in your mouth. Folks don't give harmonica players a whole lot of
credit for their talents, so I will say this:
  "If you want to play harp you are gonna have to find your voice."
 Repeat: "If you want to play harmonica in a band or duo setting you are going to have to learn to sing."
An international pro-player once told me this:

"An Artist is someone with a recogniziable voice."
"A Group is a line up of talented players who back an artist."
"A Band is a bunch of guys in a basement playing covers in clubs for fun."

Truer words I have not heard yet....

James Day & the Fish Fry
www.jameswday.com