[Harp-L] A new YouTube vid - A basic overview of the modes of C major

When I practice scales, I almost never just play the scale alone
unless I am out and about. I think this stuff is better learned when
put into an appropriate musical context. The scales are listed below.
Practice playing the scales over the backing track and then generalize
the sound of the scale juxtaposed to the chord by playing whatever
comes to mind. Keep time with them music and work on phrasing during
the progression.  You can also practice playing the chord tones
against the chords, I delineated them with 2nd inversion chords, try
to stay away from always playing roots with Chord tones, that's the
bassist's job!

I tried to keep theory talk out of this vid as much as possible but in
future videos I'll demonstrate how these modes are a precursor to
playing changes and especially the ii-V-I which is something every
musician should know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjxknb5p30U

The greek modes:
C = Ionian/major CDEFGABC
D = Dorian DEFGABC (funk/blues/jazz)
E = Phrygian EFGABCDE (Mid-east/Spanish/Jazz)
F = Lydian FGABCDEF (Jazz/Folk)
G - Myxolydian GABCDEFG (Blues/Rock/Country)
A = Aoelian ABCDEFG (Folk/Latin/Jazz)
B = Locrian BCDEDFAB (Algerian/Jazz/Ethinic)

Scale-Tone Chords of the C major scale

   1.  Cmaj7 = E - G - B - C

   2. Dm7 = F - A - C - D

   3. Em7 = G - B - D - E

   4. Fmaj7 =  A - C - E - F

   5. G7 = B - D - F - F

   6. Am7 = C - E - G - A

   7. Bø = D - F - A  - B

The backing track is available at:
http://www.buddhasgarden.net/music/the_modes.mp3

The plan is to eventually visit each and every key on it's own. All
major and minor scales