Re: [Harp-L] Valves effect/affect on "normal" tones.

Björn,

I play (half) valved diatonics. I have noticed no difference in tone for ordinary bends. That's because when bending the normally bendable reeds (1-6 draw and 7-10 blow) the other reed in the hole, which is not valved, participates as it would for a normal diatonic. It is much harder to get a good tone from the reeds that are bendable because of the valve. In that case, the other reed in the hole is blocked by the valve and does not participate in the tone. Nonetheless, with practice, you can get very satisfactory tones from the bends enabled by the valves. Just play gingerly.

-LM