Re: [Harp-L] New Brendan Power CD on YouTube

Hi Winslow, observant as usual:

Re. my finger tapping on the video
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbJ84ESfKOs>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbJ84ESfKOs

It's purely unconscious, and has no useful effect at all. In fact, I
wasn't even aware of it until you pointed it out :)

You're right too when you say: "By, the way, it's apparent that while
you're playing the newest Suzuki chromatic, your particular instrument
is not in standard solo tuning like the stock model. It seems to be
tuned like a diatonic in D, half-valved (of course!) with perhaps some
of the slide-in notes raised in pitch to provide useful ornaments, yes?"

Yup, pretty much. It was a C prototype Fabulous model given to me by Mr.
Manji Suzuki, the founder of the company. Don't tell him (!), but I
tuned it up to D, ripped off half the valves, retuned the bottom octave
to my Paddy Richter scale (extended in the lowest hole), and retuned the
slide notes to the next adjacent note of the scale (the way I like to
play Irish music on the chrom).

It's now not really a chromatic harmonica at all, but what I call a
Slide Diatonic.

What I really like about this chrom is the response in the top octave.
Even though it's in high D, it really sings up there and plays very
freely, as you can hear on the clip.

Brendan
WEB:  <http://www.brendan-power.com/> http://www.brendan-power.com