Re: [Harp-L] new youtube vid on vibrato

Depends on how hard you lean into it. Do it gently enough (but with enough back pressure) and you get a small pitch fluctuation on the lower pitched reed in the hole. Also, by carefully observing which part of your mouth does what, you can separate a tongue vibrato from the activation point for an overbend.

Winslow

--- On Wed, 7/16/08, Rick Dempster <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Rick Dempster <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] new youtube vid on vibrato
To: "groovy gypsy" <groovygypsy@xxxxxxxxx>, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, July 16, 2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks for that GG;
                                I'm just listening to it at work, so I
can't exactly play along. But I'm wondering about blow reeds 1-6; and
draw 7-10; not the 'overbent' note but the normal pitch.  I use the
technique you are using on overbends and blow bends, which results in a
fluctuation of pitch (and one that is smoother than throat vibrato too)
but for reeds that are the lower of the pairs, you surely can't use this
technique because it would result in an overbend. Nice playing, by the way.

RD

>>> "groovy gypsy" <groovygypsy@xxxxxxxxx> 17/07/2008
5:52 >>>
ok I did it... this is my first video on youtube other than just me playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ud703uiyE

hope it's ok.