Subject: [Harp-L] quick question

Wish I'd known that, or been that lucky   ;)   when my  singular bad
experience on EBay was taking place. A woman sold me 4   different keyed 270 hohner
chromatics.  I paid immediately (via paypal) as  I always do.

She then sent 4 horrifically water damaged, cracked, filthy and unplayable
chromatics (not remotely as they'd been advertised). I'm still curious  where
she found the photograph she posted purporting to be the chroms I was  bidding
on.

 When I contacted her she promised my money back upon the  return of the
chroms.  I asked for a bit more 'security' than that  (since I'd already paid,
what was to stop her from keeping the chroms (at my  expense of return postage)
and not refunding any money)?  I needed some  assurance.

She then ignored any further correspondence after stalling me for  weeks, so
I finally took it to the Paypal/EBay resolution group.   They explained that
the procedure was to hold enough money back from  her account to cover the
costs (over $120) and I'd be refunded that money  as soon as she got the harps
back.  I asked several times if there were  sufficient funds in her account to
cover my purchase...was assured this was the  case,  so packaged them up very
carefully to send  at my expense  - (return receipt requested as they insisted
upon).

At first she tried to lie about not having received them  until I proved it
with the signed return receipt, then paypal gave me  back one THIRD of the
money  owed..claiming she'd taken money from her account in  the interim, leaving
insufficient funds, and I could take it or leave it  since there was nothing
more they could do.  (This after absolutely  promising me  the funds would be
held for my refund and/or that the  insurance would cover any balance owed).

She then closed her account altogether. At some point, I was  told I was
lucky to have gotten l/3 back (without even taking into account how  much that had
been reduced by the extra postage I spent to send the lot  back).

So please don't tell me the customer always has all  the edge.  I hadn't run
into anyone like this before, and  haven't had as bad an experience since
(outside of gross exaggeration of the  condition of a product), but I can't be the
only one who was cheated like  this...else there would have been no reason
for EBay to change the  set-up a year or so ago to further protect consumers.

Elizabeth

Message: 12