Re: [Harp-L] country/western

Amongst the 392 faithfuls, can you not find a quorum of scratchers, scrapers, sliders & pickers to assemble a country lineup? Dunno why there's not more input from country players on harp-l anyhow (yep, it's all been said before, I know)
Cheers,
RD

>>> Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx> 15/07/2008 11:58 >>>
No Rick, it isn't that. What I meant was that without a country
western band, there's a problem. See, what happens is that the
harmonica player is forced to do the entire tune if he/she has no
back-up. It's a lot 'fuller' if another instrument can take a part,
so that they can then segue into a key change.

One guy juggling harps while trying to 'carry' the entire tune, is
not good. When you listen to a country/western tune, you usually hear
another lead instrument, a rhythm instrument, and possibly a harmony
instrument in addition TO the harp. Stuff like: pedal steel, dobro,
fiddle, banjo, guitar, mandolin, piano, or any combo thereof.

Unfortunately spah can never get more than 392 of its 886 members in
any one place at any one time and the festival fee (multiplied) STILL
doesn't leave a lot of spare change, and they flat out can't afford
to bring in paid musicians. It's not like the Suncoast trad jass
fest, where there are 4484 attendees over their 3 days. Where (at
$90.oo a ticket), the gate is over 400 grand. Spah can't break 7
grand. That's a BIG difference.

smo-joe