Re: [Harp-L] Meisterklasse harps

Ya know Mike. I loved Meisterklasse harps the minute I touched them to my lips but at the time I had 4 kids and 3 were in college at the same time. It was a problem because I am a selfless father and I always put the wife first, kids second, and me last. Ergo, when it came to shelling out the bucks for one, I balked.
You would have been more likely to see my car parked somewhere along the turnpike as I was down in the woods culling out all the standing dead timber. Then I would use that in my Ben Franklin in those long Pittsburgh winters. The fresher wood I would sell and use the money for school books or meal plans. My wife was a stay at home mom, and I liked it that way. So, we had one income. We were lucky. Pgh was over 700k population when I was a kid and now it's a mere 300k. Second most depressed area in the country (after Detroit). Yes, people are working (mostly service fields), but $7.17 to $10.75 an hour ain't what I call a comfortable living. Today. most families have to have BOTH parents working to make $14.5 to 21.5K.

Back to the Meisterklasses. They were a good harp and if I had been smart (like P.T. Gazell), I would have gotten a complete set and kept replacing them as needed and still have a set of premium harps. Fortunately, the spl-20 was affordable and did what my (limited) style required. so I stayed with spl-20s. Tried GMs. tried Hering 1923s, tried em all now that I have the means to do so. Haven't tried the Seydels (yet). I keep coming back to spl-20s only because it's like going to the Walmart. Almost any music store has spl-20s. And if they don't, their store need some fixin.

It's like going out and getting your car serviced. If you have an unusual model, you may have to wait for parts. That happened with my Maserati. I got frustrated and dumped it. A spl-20 is like a stock Ford 150 pick-up. Even Ft. Stockton Texas has parts. There are some customizers out there who are unbelievably gifted. Bob is one OF them. I think (nowadays) that if one has the turnover time and the funds, they should use them. These guys deserve to be used, they need to be used, and now that it's 2008, I don't see a problem there. I was just from another time era.

smo-joe