Re: [Harp-L] The shapes of the covers

I don't think the cover plates make much difference to the sound the
audience hears.
But they DO make a difference to the feel of the instrument as it is  played.
I like Hohner MS "Blues Harp" cover plates, on a short harp,  because  they
make the harp seem "alive" as I'm playing it. I guess it is simply down to  a
players personal preferences.
I remember some years ago trying one of Seigried Nahrun's CB12s at a
harmonica convention. I think it was in Germany. This was a customized CX12  with
brass cover plates...  The audience said the brass cover plates made  the
instrument louder! When I was playing, the plastic CB12 sounded louder TO ME  because
the thin plastic vibrated more IN MY HANDS. So the PERCEIVED volume  appeared
more to me as the player.
I think the materials and the shapes of a harmonica all contribute to the
tone. But more importantly, to the playability of the instrument.
Best wishes
John Walden
London
England