Re: [Harp-L] Weltmeister harmonicas

"Of course, being 12 at the time, I
didn't know Polish from Polish. (one made by Kiwi, the other a
Country)."...................another gem, or should I say Nugget, from Joe (now that is an Australian-polish joke, but if you can be obscure, so can I Joe. If you don't like 'em, just say 'shoo!)
RD

On Jul 10, 2008, at 6:24 PM, David Brown wrote:

> I have a friend with several old Weltmeister harmonicas (both
> chromatic and
> diatonic) that were made in "GDR" (German Democrat Republic) so
> they must be
> post WW2.

Yes Dave. And while you couldn't get them in the U.S. you could get
them in Italy. (And the rest of Europe I suppose). Apparently Italy
didn't care that the GDR was behind the curtain of Ozz. I had a 1956
model. It was my first chromo. I learned to play on it for several
months until it was lost at sea. Of course, being 12 at the time, I
didn't know Polish from Polish. (one made by Kiwi, the other a
Country). Under those circumstances, I had nothing to guage it off
of, so I thought it was what a chromo should BE.

>  Does anyone have any info or opinions on them? Yes, I already went
> to their
> website.

Now that I have roamed your planet for a while, and tasted the
multitude of other chromos, I think It was underwhealming. I didn't
know any better at the time. I am SURE that over the years they have
improved their product because I currently own a Seydel (same
company?), and it is a very nice chromo.
A VERY nice chromo. Now, we're talking a 50+ time zone here, so I am
not surprised because I remember when the Saab was a 3 cyll 2 stroke,
you mixed the oil with the gas, and with 850ccs (51 cubic inches),
the performance was less than stellar. Look at THEM today.  lol

smo-joe