Re: [Harp-L] Re: The shapes of the covers

Ken,
We might hear from Mark Lavoie, a great Blues Harpist and I know he has used
different combs on his MS-combs and gets quite a different array of
tonalities from each....Mark?

Ps...BTW, Mark is currently in a duo with the great Bluesman Bill Sims Jr.
and they play some terrific old time Blues. I've been using Mark's combs
both wood and titanium for years with great success. I was checkin out their
new record on itunes today they sound Great!

Here's Mark's info:
www.deltagrooveproductions.com/music/artists/billsimmarlavoie/main.html
www.myspace.com/theharmonicaman
www.middlebury.net/lavoie

Best, Rob Paparozzi

On 7/10/08 7:19 PM, "Ken Deifik" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Steve Baker wrote:
>> the Blues Harp (like the Old Standby) was never anything else
>> but a standard Marine Band comb & reed plates fitted with closed
>> covers, which made the sound slightly less bright due to the
>> different shape and of course the closed sides.
>
> Wow.  This opens up something like a legitimate version of the materials
> debate.  Aside from the holes on the sides, is there anything else about
> the shape of the covers that changes the sound of a diatonic harp?
>
> As a guy who mainly plays acoustically, I'd LOVE to experiment with various
> shapes for the covers, if that's going to give me different colors of sound.
>
> Has anyone on Harp-l monkeyed around in that jungle?
>
> Beyond shape, here goes an actual materials question: do different metals
> or coatings on the covers change anything?  I recall being knocked off my
> feet by the sound of a tenor sax that had just been coated with an ounce of
> platinum.

All the best,
Rob Paparozzi

email:
chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob¹s My Space (check for upcoming Gigs!)
http://www.myspace.com/hudsonriverrats

Rob¹s Session Sites:
http://www.esession.com
http://www.sessionplayers.com