Re: [Harp-L] Blowing too hard...

I agree that a relaxed throat can aid tone and loudness, but does the article on voice really pertain?  Considering what is vibrating in each case (larynx, reeds), wouldn't the equivalent of a large-volume airway above (downstream of) the larynx be a large-volume hand-cup (or actual cup) downstream of the reeds?

David Fertig <drfertig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: [T]he Scientific American mag, January '08 issue, p. 94 - 101, has a really remarkable article about voice, which pertains here. Basically, if one opens up the airway just above the larynx, it can operate as a sound resonator, effectively amplifying the volume (and enhancing the tone) . I was taught this, walking along a highway in 1970 or so, by a harpfiend named Logan Lee Glascoe III, now in Eureka CA. He basically showed me to open wide my throat as low down in my neck as I could go, in order to achieve better tone, I found this also enhances volume.  It takes a bit perhaps for some to get the hang of it, but once you get the feedback-feeling of the thing it can become second nature.