Re: [Harp-L] Carbon Fiber Reeds

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harvey Berman" <cscharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 7:27 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Carbon Fiber Reeds

I was wondering if anyone has tried Carbon Fiber Combs, and maybe Reeds.................

Carbon fiber is remarkable stuff. Its strength-to-weight ratio is unbeatable. It is used as a composite material in a plastic matrix. I doubt that it would make a good comb or reed material for the following reasons:

- It would be very expensive to fabricate in the necessary shapes.
- The higher density of metals is useful to prevent transfer of reed energy to the plate. A plate of infinite mass would absorb no energy from the reed.
- The higher density of metals is useful to provide the needed mass for reed tips.
- It is not malleable. Think about adjusting the gap of a carbon-fiber reed.
- I don't think that it machines well. Think about adjusting the pitch of a carbon-fiber reed.

It seems to me that the advantages of carbon fiber do not much apply to harmonicas and that the disadvantages are fatal. I would be very interested in arguments to the contrary.

Vern