Re: [Harp-L] Tongue Block Bending Holes 8 to 10

Hi,
I agree but to add, it is much easier on harps tuned to Bb and lower, and even more so A and lower, but once you get higher up in the harp keys, it becomes more difficult to do with a TB.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com
MP3's: http://music.mp3lizard.com/barbequebob/

-- "Jim Greenwald" <staggerin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Tony

Yes, TB bending is more than do-able - it may be the best solution for some
kinds of playing. I assume your remark re: the relaxed embouchure is from
your experience with TB bends on the lower parts of the harp. You'll find
the same applies for upper notes. The lips aren't called on for any kind of
tension, unless you are also adding a ''lip-biting' articulation.
The only time I use a 'pucker' is if I need my tongue free momentarily for
other duty - otherwise it's all tongue-block and U-block, even for the
bends. TB bends have a very firm advantage when it comes to quick switches
to the 'other corner', in and out of octaves and other chord forms. I didn't
always do this, though. I had to meet up personally with someone who could
really demonstrate the advantages.

Cheers,
Staggerin' Jim
Listen to Roots Harmonica at http://www.live365.com/stations/staggerinjim