Re: [Harp-L] Harmonicas and respect

"scott" wrote:
<One of the great things about art - music, poetry, sculpture,
<whatever - is that it's completely subjective.  What moves one person
<may leave the next person cold.
<
<With that in mind, I'd argue that what the instrument needs is fewer
<Howard Levys and more Little Walters.  Not more guys who play like
<Little Walter, but more guys whose musical creativity appeals to a
<wide audience, beyond a small group of harmonica geeks.  Howard's
<technical knowledge and skill may be unmatched, but has he created
<any music that brought the harmonica to the masses the way Little
<Walter did?

Howard Levy is not just a technical master, though I suppose many harp players think of him as such.  His playing is brilliantly emotional.  When you hear him in performance, the first thing that hits you is how much emotional fire is coming from the instrument. That is precisely what the reviewer for the New York Times said about his recent performance in NYC, and that reviewer is no harmonica geek.  Howard's technique is always in service of the music.  And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that more people have heard his work, via channels like Steely Dan records and Prairie Home Companion, than have heard Walter's.  (Those Steely Dan records sell a hell of a lot, y'know.) There's an audience for great music, in almost any style.

Can we all go back now to trying to become the best musicians we possibly can, in whatever ways we can?  I think if we all concentrate on making great music with the harmonica, the rest of this crap will sort itself out. Or not, in which case we will still have made a lot of great music.

Regards, Richard Hunter