Re: [Harp-L] the melodious gg speaks on OBs

Underneath all of Chris' cosmic verbiage and RDempster comments live  two
philosophies - and the universe is big enough to hold these two and many  more
without one trying to convince the other that one reigns  supreme.

Chris has always chosen the path less traveled and espouses "free  thinking"
in approaching harmonica. That is all well and good for some, but many  are
not ready to hear these messages until they travel the more well worn paths  of
others.

Rick has chosen the path that has been established and has plenty of rest
stops on route.

In my experience, the student will reveal to the receptive teacher which
path they prefer - subject to change at any point by self discovery. It is the
art of the teacher to read the signs and feed the student a balanced diet -
what  they need to remain healthy - at the same time keeping the carrot just
ahead of  the horse to perpetuate the forward momentum. An occasional misdirection
and  "outside the box" snack is tossed in to feed the spiritual soul. If the
student  goes for it, this can lead to a less traveled road.

The best teachers remain neutral in the face of a student. The focus  should
be on the student.

The best teachers have the ability to work inside or outside the box and  the
ability to read the student's comfort level.

The best teachers adapt individually to their students, once having set a
solid foundation of generic topics/techiques/understandings. The best teacher
moves his/her individual ego or agenda out of the way - after all, it's about
the student, isn't it?

(Disclaimer - "the best" is subjective, and the above quotes contain what
I've found to be most effective in seeking out teachers and in becoming  one).

That being said, I also believe that OB/OD's that sound good are much more
difficult to achieve than the other techniques that produce notes through reed
stressing. I'd never put a beginner in this frustrating position until he
thoroughly understands how to get a good controlled note created through
traditional bending techniques.

Finally, to those of you who have commented about how hard they've tried to
learn the OB technique - don't try so hard. The term "Over Blow" seems to
suggest blowing harder. It is not about force, but about focused and targeted
breath direction and finesse. Try to see how quietly you can approach this
challenge.

The Iceman