Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Christelle: THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH

Hi Christelle...that was a lovely response.  proving even more how  much you
belong...but i have to explain one point (well two points) where you're
absolutely not right ;)

when you write: "I'm a NO ONE harp
player. My play is not perfect  at all"

first...that is not true.  You ARE very much a harp player of  note.  You're
now on most people's radar...of favourite players.  I am  not exaggerating, or
'schmoozing' you by giving you compliments.  I truly,  absolutely love your
sound..and what you can do with the instrument. I've  attended 8 and this SPAH
will be my 9th convention...listened to a lot of  players (from all over the
world, btw)...and I'd rank your ability very highly  on the scale, indeed. You
may think you're not anything special..and that  humility of yours is
appreciated, and very nice and sweet...but you're incorrect  when you think you don't
have a special gift.  You do!

I'm going to 'out' him in this post by telling you that after I felt  such a
thrill by discovering your music, I forwarded some of your  youtube videos to
SmoJoe.  He wrote back and asked if I'd REALLY listened  to you...not just
listened but really heard you play...and how he  would cross the street to listen
to you  even if (a very well-known  and highly respected player over here)
was on this sidewalk.  He was as  complimentary about your abilities and playing
as I am.

That's high praise indeed  coming from him, because he has very good  ears,
and I consider him one of the unsung treasures of Spah...I wish HE  would play
more...but the people who count do know just how good he is.   It's a matter
of finding the right slot for him..and timing.  So many good  players, but some
stand out..YOU stand out.  You don't think you do because  you're somewhat
isolated and not exposed to the people we see and  hear ...at a typical
convention.

I've heard a lot less talent, versatility and 'gorgeous sound' from many
previously invited guests of spah...and from people who are continually invited
as guests...I've heard major 'flubs' or mistakes in their playing of
particular  songs...no one seems to mind and they keep being invited back to Star
onstage,  so there still is hope that someone important in the organization will
hear you  and understand why we so wish you could be on their radar too.

Like Smokey...i'm willing to 'pay more' as well...if it meant bringing
someone of your caliber for us to meet and hear play. I very much like his idea  of
a 'special fund' to bring people like you to the conventions.  Such as  Jason
too, since he and his band have never really been subsidized as far as I
know...(except for 2007 when he was a guest of spah by himself)...but before
that he had always paid his own way as well as his Band's salary and their stays
at the Hotel...and they've attended seminars and shows, and played backup for
 people, despite existing on a very tight budget. So there are deserving
people  to bring to Spah...and perhaps more of us ordinary people should express
our  opinions...give input, stop staying on the sidelines and actually
communicate with those who are running things at Spah...they  can't know unless we
tell them..

  ..and to SmoJoe: there are cheaper fares..I just found some  ranging from
$1,620 to the $1,900 range round trip from Paris to St. Louis for  those days,
but I'm not sure Paris is the closest airport...I looked up her town  and it's
in the Loire valley (if I'm reading the map correctly).

I don't know the protocol of finding talent in other countries that  has been
in effect for a while - someone from SPAH would have to  answer that.

The reality is that most musicians don't make good money in the  States by
playing harmonica.  Venues here pay very little....and  people who attend shows
don't want to pay to hear the musicians play...they'd  rather spend their
money on multiple beers than put money into the tip jar  (which more often than
not pays for the musicians' food and lodging), or pay a  cover charge. It's a
'want something for nothing' attitude. Patrons of  clubs and bars seem to
believe that the music is part of their 'drink'  bill...when the owners of the clubs
are actually giving ridiculously low  amounts to the bands/groups...sometimes
barely enough to warrant their gas and  tolls to get to the show.

 Occasionally there is someone who plays in a particular town and  does
continual gigs as a musician for one or two regular  places ...so that works well
(Randy Singer comes to mind)(you'll like  his music, I believe...smooth jazz on
a chromatic:

_Click here: Randy Singer -  Harmonicas, Vocals & Guitar_
(http://www.randysinger.com/main.html)

.....or some who play wedding band gigs who can make a decent enough  living,
but the average blues player probably has a job during the day to  pay his or
her bills...or does something else besides playing...such as  customizing
harmonicas or working with amps. Blues is not on the 'radar' of the  wider public
here, which is also why I appreciate that you can play not  only Blues but
just about any other style of song and music you like.   Being versatile is a
very good thing, to my mind.

..I personally love ballads and your approach there has completely altered
my thinking. Before, I thought most ballads sounded far better on a chromatic.
Now I realize some people can make them just as beautiful (if not more) on  a
diatonic.

Secondly..Jason would never make comments on your videos 'just to be nice'.
Trust me about this.  He genuinely thinks you're very good, or would not  have
said so.  He has the ears of a perfectionist too.  So trust your
talent..you're brimming over with it. WE are excited by it. You may believe  you're no
one ..sitting at home alone so far away making these videos for  us...but the
sound emanating from your harmonica...getting out to the world is  just
beautiful, and deserves a wider audience.

et merci ma jeune amie

Elizabeth