Re: [Harp-L] Hohner reeds and how not to choke

Great post Mike! Well said and so true....
Everyone interested in longer lasting and better sounding harps would do well to thoroughly digest this post, and put the content into use.

Rupert Oysler
www.seydelusa.com

diachrome@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
There should be some clarification when we talk about Hohner reeds. I think the term "thinner" gives the impression the reeds are not as thick as before and therefore will be more brittle.

The reeds are actually narrower but that is roughly from the middle to the tip and only slightly. A narrower reeds' tip requires less air to get the reed to vibrate. If we use bending methods we use with older stock harps then yes the reeds will fatigue faster. The same is true for custom harps that have been set up to bend easier. The failure starts in the bend not the blow.

The mfg's and customizers try to make it easier for us to play, but we acquire bad playing habits along the way then assume they are the cause of early reed failure.

I didn't like the newer reeds when I first started working on them last winter but once I became accustomed to them I no longer think about it now. There is a learning curve to everything in life. How fast we adjust is up to us.

I know a local guy that sucks out a reed out every couple of years. He has been playing close to 40 years yet I can hear he never learned good playing techniques. He doesn't understand the mechanics that you only need to bend so far to get the lowest bend note then everything else is extra stress on the reed. You can hear him hit bad notes because he is still playing the harp after the reed goes flat from fatigue. He continues to play it until it bends down in the slot or worse yet breaks off.

Technically speaking a reed will not play in tune then suddenly snap off. There will be a drop off in pitch first then the gap widens as the reed starts to drop into the slot. Players should play octaves up and down their harps before and after gigs to check the tuning of the harp. Even if you don't have a gig. (This works for both diatonic and chromatic players). Check your octaves when you pull your harps out. The failure could have started the last time you played and not when you picked the harp up to play the first tune on it that night. A heavy beating octave is a dead giveaway of impending reed failure. If a player attacks reeds hard and loud when performing their focus may not be on the notes but on the effect that stressful playing creates when sounding the notes.

Even new harps can fail the first time out due to poor playing habits. I was a soundman for the first band I was in in my teens in the 70's. . They let me blow harp on Stormy Monday. I blew out a D MB every week just playing one song. Since we didn't have an organist I played the harp like it was a Hammond B3. I didn't realize I didn't need to bend or blow so hard.

I've seen and heard both pro and semi pro players exert too much effort on the reeds for effect. I set up a custom Marine Band for a pro player a few years ago and had him play it for me. He said he couldn't get the 3 draw to bend. I took the harp and was able to easy produce the lowest bend note and the in between notes. He was so use to being forceful he didn't realize he bent the reed past the point of playability and choked it off. Rather then changing his forceful playing habits he passed on the harp.

In the end how we choose to play is up to us. What we choose to play based on our habits is up to us. But a harp player in control his/her technique has a better chance of controlling most any harps without premature failure of the reeds. Reed failure is a given. How and when is up to the player.

mike
harmonicarepair.com