[Harp-L] How ta lern to Play proply

Really, to play blues harp properly, it is absolutely necessary  to learn to read music, understand music theory, and  -

OOPS!  I mean, one should just get a harp and suck and blow it a million times, til you get it right, then -

NO! NO! You gotta get lessons, do your homework, play on tape and listen back, make corrections -

OH WAIT, NO!!  What I mean to say is blow it
along with recordings whenever you get the chance, and learn each lick of your harp heroes, only then -

UH OH, I misspoke! One should avoid the limits of Western musical conventions, else one betrays one's soul and the origins of blues music, and that's -

OH SH!T! What I really mean to say is - ONLY FOLLOW THE ADVICE that makes sense to you, your style of learning, the sort of playing you wish to emulate,and allow yourself to change as you proceed.  It's only important that you feel good about whatever approach you take, and it works for you.  And keep an open mind.
Many fine players don't read music, don't overblow, don't wear cool hats, etc. and some do, the results are what count, and that includes you being happy with what you're doing.

"Take what you need and leave the rest."

-Dave Fertig