Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 59, Issue 8

On Jul 5, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Richard Hunter wrote:

Joe Leone wrote:
<Actually, I am better as a guest or last minute add in. Before I play
<a REAL slot, I get sick. I actually get sick. It happened spah 02. I
<told Paul Davies I couldn't go on. Tall Paul (MR. diplomacy that he
<is) talked me out of it, and I finally did go on.

Red Skelton had a weekly live variety show on TV for something like 10 years, and before every single taping, he threw up. Then he'd go out and do an hour of brilliant comedy. I doubt the audience ever knew that performing was so nerve-wracking for him.

I don't have as much a problem at Buckeye. Mainly because Buckeye is almost family. Not that the people at spah aren't wonderful too. It's just that there are so damn many BIG GUNS. I may (or may not) have a different vision of harmonica than some. I have tried other instruments. IN fact, I had an album out done on sop/alt/ten sax, clar & flut. But harmonica is SO vocal, so emotive, so gut wrenching, so melancholy, so sorrowful, that I don't think there's any other instrument like it.

Then I put myself in a situation where I literally turn myself inside out and reveal my soul. The harmonica breathes FOR me. My very life is flowing through the harmonica. The danger here is that I may reveal my heart only to have it crushed by the cart wheels of life..much as in the story 'The Robin and the Rose'. My great is fear getting up there and dumping. Mainly because I have so much respect for the instrument and those who play it.

If you're not nervous before you perform, you're not paying attention. Not paying attention is more dangerous to the quality of the performance than a case of nerves.

I have to second that emotion. Not wishing to scare any newer player, remember that these are only my opinions and should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt.

smokey-joe & the Cafe s

Regards, Richard Hunter hunterharp.com harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp Latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter