[Harp-L] Re: was Seydel Endorsement, now Hohner quality

Steve, I played Hohners for 25 years, from age five till my late 20s and for those 25 years, I wouldn't even consider buying a harp if it wasn't a Hohner, seriously, I didn't play a non-Hohner harp until I was in my 20s. But quality control issues I was getting as a rule, not an exception, from 1999 probably and the next few years until I stopped buying them altogether, made me lose a lot of trust. Maybe I wouldn't be so enternally bitter if I hadn't been such a faithful customer for all those years. I don't know what Trossingen was implying with the proeduct back when I boiught my last Hohners, but I inferred that they expected me to bend over and take it.
   Maybe it's better now than ever, I don't know, I don't buy a lot of them anymore. Earning trust is not so hard. Regaining lost trust is.

  Dave

  Steve Baker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Mike Wesoöowski wrote:

It's no secret that Hohner's quality for harps straight out of the
box has diminished

Though I certainly can't claim to be impartial, having worked for the
Hohner company in Germany as a consultant for many years, Mike your
statement doesn't seem either fair or correct to me. Hohner has
invested a lot of money in retooling in recent years and my direct
comparisons with instruments made by other manufacturers lead me to
believe that the Hohner Classic reed plates used in the Marine Band,
Marine Band Deluxe and Special 20 which are currently being produced
are of the highest quality Hohner has made since the 1950s. I
certainly prefer them to anything else on the market. Reed life is up
considerably too. When did you last try a new one?

For a listing of recent improvement see index.php?1335>

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com