[Harp-L] Perdido+diatonic+rhythm changes

just learned Perdido...I concentrate on chromatic these days, so I learned it on chro like I always do, but frequently I will see if the tune is playable on diatonic [I should add playable by me :-)
Anyway, this tune, like some others [Now's the Time,etc], is easier for me to play on diatonic in 2nd on an Eb harp than on chro [in Bb, of course]...it lays pretty well in 2nd, requiring one OB and one OD. By the way, Perdido, if you aren't familar with it, is an Ellington band song, written by Juan Tizol [sp?]  and a rhythm changes tune, which again if you're not familar, means that it basically uses the same changes as "I've Got Rhythm."

The jazz diatonic guys, like the mysterious Groovy Gypsy, say that 12th position is great for rhythm changes stuff and I'm sure that's so, but i find that 2nd works really well for these kinds of tunes...I'm talking about the improv, not neccessarily the melody...

Anyway, if you are  a blues diatonic player looking to broaden your playing a bit, why not try some rhythm changes? Jamey Aebersold has a "Rhythm Changes is 12 Keys" play-along; you can get it and just switch harps, staying in 2nd, and I think you'll find that your blues licks work just fine...as time goes on you may want to broaden your approach using different positions, maybe chromatic, more sophisticated harmonic ideas , or not, but  I think you'll have fun right away!
WVa Bob
http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger_072008