Re: [Harp-L] Joe Cocker w/subtitle translation

  Iceman .... That Cocker vid is an interesting study in both creative expression through lack of annunciation and how the listeners brain processes this information
  Cocker sings on the vid: "I got a Lazy-Boy I'm afraid, Priobiotics changed the way I feel now" "Somebody's dad is standing there waving, gotta get my Fred and Wilma."

  Wow, that is EXACTLY what he is saying. That was awesome. IT's crazy how the brain works. Now, Cocker was probably singing about Wonder loaf, but his annunciation is so, well, Cocker, the brain is free to wonder about Cocker's WOnder bread.. You read something as you hear it, it will sound more like what you read, if it is similar, although, with Cocker, the what he is singing sounds more like "sled in New Orleans" in the subtitled video than whatever the actual words were, which I could not understand.
  Or if you eat a strawberry with a dog terd under your nose. The strawberry will taste like the dog terd, but the dog terd will not smell like the strawberry.
  Cocker's hometown is where some of the world's best, manliest straight razors were made, Sheffield, England. So, he has an English accent. But when people sing, you don't detect an accent, but the nuances in annunciation are different, adding to the brain's perseption of this.
  Example: I always like to hear the Kentucky bands play bluegrass. Why? Let's take this Bill Monroe song "Wonder Where You Are Tonight."
  When a West Virginia band plays it and sings the title line I hear "I wonder WHERE you are tonight." Tthey have a different version of the South midland dialect in  Kentucky than in WV (I say we have no accent and y'all talk funny), but when the Kentucky bands sing the title line, I hear "I wonder WHIRR you are tonight?" Pete Hart (maker of THE BUCKEYE mandolin) and founding member of the Hart Bros., has mentioned this to me as well, he's from SE and it sounds like "WHIRR" to him, too.
  The brain is cool.  Chzeck  owt hoow evvery woord in thhis seentennce is misspeelled, yeat yiu  are abale to undeerstend whaat I tyype, proobolly and actaulily, the misspeelings, prabally did not slaw yoou dovn two muach..
  , your brain sees the first and last letter of a word, maybe pays some attention to the general shape of the combined letters in the middle.. It's also able to discard the words that do not fit into the word it expects to see.

  Obligatory harp content: actually it's probably pretty valid... taking off from what I said above, how does thebrain perceive a musical phrase... does it hear the first and last note like reading a sentence, or does it take a lot of liberty with perseption like it does when listening to Cocker?  What does it process? Probably take a mad scientist like Venky, but someone must know.