Re: [Harp-L] Paddy Richter Tuning

Hi Anogus,

The Seydel 12 hole Solist is NOT solo tuned.  It would
have to be re-tuned to be so.

Its a shorter version of the Hohner Steve Baker
Special (SBS-365), where the holes 1-3 are like a
regular 10-hole diatonic holes 1-3 only lower in
patch, then the remaing holes (4-12 on the Seydel) are
like the holes 1-9 on a regular 10-hole diatonic.

Its a cool diatonic harp, but made for blues-type
music.

I have retuned several harps to Paddy Richter, and
replaced reeds. I also screwed up a few, but that
seems to be part of the learning process.

Experts like Rick Epping have worked on countless
harmonicas over the years, so they naturally make it
look very easy.
The main thing is to be patient and not be in a hurry,
and also have the right tools and space to work (clean
workbench and good lighting always help!).  Also
recognize when you are getting tired or frustrated and
stop working on it until you have taken a break (even
if its an hour, days, or weeks between starting
again).

Get Rupert Oysler's Harmonica Repair DVD if you do not
already have it.  I'm always going back to it for
reference, because often months go by in between my
harmonica projects.  Its available at:

http://www.harprepair.com/

Use your old harps or buy some of those inexpensive
harps (like the Blue Steel, Piedmonts, etc) to try
re-tuning, embossing, gapping etc.  Most if not all
should have screws attaching the reed-plates to the
comb which always helps (much better then my old
Special 20's and Golden Melodies with nails/brads!).

Without retuning reeds, you can get both a Paddy
Richter harp and a Country-tuned harp by buying a Lee
Oskar Major tuned and a Lee Oskar Melody Maker and
switching the top reed plates.

The MM harp will now be a Paddy Richter and the the
regular major richter harp will now be a country-tuned
harp.

So buy a regular major tuned LO in key of G, and a LO
melody maker in key of D (labeled in 2nd position),
and switch the top reed plates.

Learning to bend just takes practice--we've all been
there, and most, including myself, need to always
practice getting these bends to be the best possible.
Try a different embouchure if you are having
problems... lip blocking or puckering is usually
always easier than tongue blocking (for me at least).

Playing harmonicas is suppose to be about having fun,
and if gets frustrating or seems too hard most people
will give up, and you do NOT want to do give up... you
want to make music and enjoy it !

Ken H in OH