Re: [Harp-L] Back to Phrasing...

Excellent way to bring things back to the core conversation.

By my humble experience it sounds like you already are doing all kinds of good things to get the phrasing going.

I think listening to the greats and playing in their footsteps is a great way to go for many. Jazz and blues are such "feel" genres and while it certainly doesn't hurt to to work on craft, I've learned that you just have let go and feel what they are saying.

There is the tough part. Letting go and getting out ouf your head. It is very much like sports. You train to the point that when you are on the field, you can just go with the flow of play and feel what has to happen next.

I think they call it "the zone".

As soon as I shut up that internal conversation, stop listening to myself and really listen to the other players, I get better results/ phrasing/dynamics. If the other players are doing the same thing, it gets magical. That's when the room lights up.

For the last couple of years , I've been doing side man work with singer songwriters . Most songs I play just a few notes or phases often with no solo opportunity. This forces me to spend most of my time listening. Then when the feeling is right, I insert a few notes or just one note if that is what works. I learned this by observing people like Dave McKelvy.

Someone previuosly wrote that it is like a conversation. Only add to it if it moves the subject along. Don't talk for the sake of talking.

When I work with singer song writers it almost feels like arranging flowers. It is all about balance and composition.

I have several heros who mastered this. Among them are Big Walter Horton, BB King, Bill Evans, Wayne Shorter, but my main man is Miles Davis.

For you blues lovers out there remember Miles was always playing' the blues. He just used Jazz to get to it. His album Kind of Blue says it all.

I think I'll shut up and listen now .

From Gary Popenoe
garypopenoeandco.com