From: Ken Deifik <kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:27:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Phrasing and Spacing

At 07:10 AM 1/22/2008, you wrote:
>Some one correct me if I'm wrong but the story goes something like
>this . Someone asked Louis Armstrong about about how he played jazz or
>how to play jazz or something along those lines . He responded and I
>paraphrase, "Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know ."

I intend to join in the larger discussion, and I feel that the other
paragraph Gary wrote is right on, but this quote would have to be among
 the
most discouraging, and incorrect, pieces of information to tell most
harmonica players.

In fact, most people "gotta ask", and Harp-l is a forum where people
 "gotta
ask" or they will not learn.  Armstrong, who may not have even spoken
 that
quote, was not a teacher, he was a genius who didn't put much thought
 into
explaining.  On the other hand, he had many, many teachers and said as
 much
when recourning his personal history.

Note to everyone who feels like they have not gotten to the musical
 place
they want to get to: You Gotta Ask.  Almost every good musician I have
 ever
played with stunk at first.  Then they got okay.  Then they got good.
  Alot
of it comes from working at it, but ALOT of it comes from asking people
 who
already know.

There are big issues that are hard or impossible to teach, but the idea

that was presented in that quote is pure, unnecessary discouragement.
  Ask
ask ask.

Ken