[Harp-L] Mixing and Mastering advice...

First off, I guess I should introduce myself... I was a semi-active member of this group years ago and have recently found my way back. I was quickly reminded what a great resource harp-l remains - great players with a breadth of experience and helpful advice. IIt is a real treat to have such an on-line community for the harmonica....

  I am a diatonic/chromatic blues player/singer/front-man who currently resides in Seattle (after stops in Kansas City, DC, Macon, Atlanta, Chicago). Like some of you I have a "day job" and try to mange to fit in my passion for music as time allows. I have been fortunate to have a fairly flexible schedule while in school and most recently as  a teacher - gigging was a little easier. The 9-5 job I have now presents a little more of a challenge for playing...

  Onto my question... I fly to Chicago this weekend to mix and master my second album (recorded live to 2 inch analog and dumped to PROTOOLS).. I have only 1 album under my belt and am still very "green" in the studio. I would welcome any and all suggestions concerning mix/mastering that you could offer (tips/tricks/concerns). Luckily I have a good studio engineer and my guitar player/friend who has "good ears".

  For any that are interested, here is a little about the album... The album was recorded in Chicago before I moved to the West Coast. I recruited some of Chicago's and Kansas City's finest players- my long time friend and musical partner Karl Angerer. Karl has held the guitar chair in Lee McBee's band since Lee parted ways with Mike Morgan. On keys -  Kansas City's premier piano man, Mike Sedovic. Two of Chicago's finest blues drummers were also part of the session - Mike Schlick (Dave Specter and the Bluebirds) and Kenny Smith (Mississippi Heat, Cash Box Kings, Pinetop Perkins, Lurrie Bell). Finally, on upright bass, the inimitable Jimmy Sutton (Mighty Blue Kings, Jimmy Sutton's Four Charms). A definite highlight of the album (at least for me) was getting to do a duet with Kansas City jazz legend - Myra Taylor. She is 91 years young and still gigging! Overall, the album will contain 14 songs - 2 chromatic instrumental, a few hardcore Chicago blues and the rest a mix of
 swing and jazzy/blues. As you can tell I am pretty excited to FINALLY be at this stage in the recording process...

  Sorry for the long winded message - I promise to be more succinct in the future... Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions of mixing and mastering...

  Kurt Crandall

  www.myspace.com/kurtcrandall

  www.kurtcrandall.com