Re: [Harp-L] Help with starting a band?

Wow, Mike, sounds like you're really working hard. Good luck in this
latest project.

I've been in a duo for six years now, with some harp whoring on the
side.  My duo generally gets modest, but loyal crowds. Sometimes we do
better than others, sometimes the owner is happier than others.
Basically we keep enough clubs happy to gig 2-3 times a month.
Obviously, we don't do this for a living.

You, however, have always seemed more serious about this.  All I can
say in terms of advice is that it's the rhythm section that gets
drinkers in the door and keeps them there.  Or, to paraphrase- "It's
the drums, stupid."  I'm really convinced of this, especially if the
goal is to get younger people in the room, and, more importantly to
club owners than to family guys like us, of course, to get women in
the place.  Apparently they like to dance. Go figure. I can count on
my fingers the amount of times we've had hot young women dancing to
just the two of us for the first four years of our existence.   Since
we've included some percussion - a la Mr. Satan  - this happens much
more regularly, and guess what, our crowds have grown as well. It's
still a work in progress, but I really wouldn't dare undervalue
percussion when it comes to your gigging success if you want to get
out of coffeehouses. When I play out with full bands - regardless of
the quality of the band - the crowds are always bigger and more
lively.

Again, good luck!

 - Blake