Re: [Harp-L] Questions of a technical nature

Bob Laughlin wrote:
> But someone recently found it in his heart to pass on to me a
> piece of equipment called the "Tube MP Studio", by Applied
> Research and Technology, or "ART".
>
> I wonder if anyone here has one of these things, or is familiar
> with them. It's basically a tube pre-amp that is designed to
> "warm up" a microphone, on the way to the PA, from what I've
> read.
>
> To what extent are these useful for amplified harp? Gigs?
> Recording?

A tube preamp is a wonderful thing.  You can use it to get
overdriven, tube amp tone from solid state amplifiers or PAs, or to
fatten up the sound of a tube amp that you can't really crank up for
one reason or another.  There have been some pretty extensive
discussions of these devices and their use on this list.  I use one
(not the ART model, but something similar) for gigs where I run
directly into the PA so I don't have to haul a full stack of gear.
A friend of mine uses his to get a little extra overdrive when he's
playing through a big tube amplifier and can't turn it up loud
enough to make the amp overdrive on its own.  They're great for
running straight into a mixer for recording as well.

> Also, on another subject, still gear-related, I've been given
> a "TASCAM Porta02 mkII" 4track cassette tape recorder by my wife,
> who used it to record textbooks for disabled students for CalState
> Long Beach. It has the capacity to record 4tracks on a chrome
> cassette, 2 tracks at a time. It looks like it'd be fun to play
> around with, but my son, 20, says he's got a mixer and I/O box
> that he bought to do some recording via his computer, for his
> classical guitar studies. He tells me that this tape stuff is just
> old-school, and that I'd be better informed investing my time in
> the digital future rather than outdated technologies.

I'd go digital, but that's just me.  I spent about $80 on a 12-
channel behringer mixer and I connect all my musical equipment
(guitar, keyboard, harp amp, microphones, CD player, MP3 player,
computer line out) through that, and connect the outputs to my
computer's audio line in.  I use a freeware program called Audacity
to record multi-track with pretty minimal fuss.  You can do
unlimited tracks (you do have to mix down multiple tracks
occasionally) without loss when you're digital, which you can't do
on a cassette.  Also, a four-track cassette has to be mixed down to
be played on anything (standard cassettes are 2-track, bi-
directional rather than 4-track, uni-directional), and if you want
to post MP3s of your recordings anywhere or burn a CD you have to
record your cassette output to digital in realtime anyway.  I'd skip
the middleman and just do my recording in digital to begin with.
It's not worth investing a lot of time in learning a dedicated
technology that's already pretty obsolete.

Just my two cents,

-tim