Re: [Harp-L] desert island

Question:
<<
okay kids, you're stuck on the proverbial desert island, and you've got
three harps. key, make and model, please, and of course, why  ?

Answer:

Well, I play both Chromatic and Diatonic Harps.

My #1 harmonica (so far) has to be my Doug Tate ILUS "Renaissance" 12  hole
chromatic, in "C" which is currently fitted with 1960's original "NOS"  Hohner
"Silver Concerto" reed plates. The reed plates were being saved by Tony
Danneker for the late Larry Adler... When Larry passed away, Tony fitted them to
my "Renny". Unfortunately Tony Danneker no longer services chromatic
harmonicas;  I'm hoping to have my "Renny" checked over by Seydal in Germany (who now
build  "Rennys" ) but I can't bear to be parted from it.

Harmonica #2 ?

A diatonic in Bb

I enjoy playing in F on a short harp (2nd position of course).
My favourite diatonics are Hohner MS system, but they need to have "Blues
Harp" cover
plates. These are thin and the sound vibrates the cover plates in my hands.
I know some folks like thick cover plates, but I don't. All my  "new"
harmonicas have metal combs if available. I particularly like  stainless steel combs.
These seem to reflect the sound. They don't swell up like  wooden combs and
because they are heavy, feal just right in the hand. However  titanium combs are
wonderful... Failing that the Hohner Meisterklasse alloy  combs are ok, and
the Danneker Blues, now made of plated brass are ok too. I've  got used to the
slightly larger size of the MS harps, and these days rarely play  the slightly
smaller HM style. I've tried Tombos, Suzuki, Huang, Hering and so  on, but I
particularly like the Hohner MS.

Harmonica #3 ?

A diatonic in D
With a metal comb and Hohner MS "Blues Harp" cover plates.
Why in D ?
Well, having played in guitar centred blues bands for many years, I've just
got used to playing "2nd Position" in A. more than in any other key.
So I'd never want to be without a 10 hole in D...

Best wishes,

John "Whiteboy" Walden
London
England