[Harp-L] Oscar Winner for best Original Song-musician's movie

   I loved the movie "Once"; it deservedly showed up on a few critic's best
ten lists.  I particularly thought the last shot was brilliant.
   I would strongly recommend the new documentary "Note by Note-The Making
of Steinway L1037", also.  It basically follows a tree floating in the
water through its year-long transformation into a Steinway piano.  Pianists
like Hank Jones, Kenny Barron, Lang Lang, Harry Connick Jr., Marcus Roberts,
and others drift in and out of the narrative.  But the real stars of the
movie are the regular Joes who work on this piano at the New York Steinway
factory.  As they explain what their particular job is and what it means to
them to build pianos you come to the realization that this movie is really
about the dignity of labor and an endangered species called craftsmanship.
   If the folks making the upcoming harmonica documentary do half as good a
job with their film as the "Note by Note" people did; we
harmonica enthusiasts will be in for a treat.

Mick Zaklan