Re: [Harp-L] Subject: Re: Adverse reactions to denture cleansers?

On Feb 26, 2008, at 1:23 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

Some people have mentioned routinely using denture tablets to clean their
harmonicas.

Yes, I am one of those people.

I just got this alert from an FDA mailing. I'm not sure how it
would impact a harmonica player if the harp is thoroughly rinsed afterwards, but
here's the info fwiw:

Hmmm, key word "rinsing"

Elizabeth

"FDA notified dental healthcare professionals and patients of the risk of
serious allergic reactions in users of denture cleansers.

This would be dependent on how allergic a person was.

These adverse events,
including abdominal pain, vomiting, seizures, hypotension and difficulty
breathing, have occurred both when the product has been used properly as well as
from improper use.

I would believe it. I also believe there are people who are allergic to brass, copper, zinc, tin, nickel, and CERTAINLY mercury.

These events can occur soon after first use or after
years of use. FDA believes that the ingredient responsible for these reactions is
persulfate, a known allergen. Persulfates are used in most denture cleansers
to help clean and bleach the dentures. FDA has provided specific
recommendations for dental healthcare professionals and an 'Advice for Patients'
document.

They make a tablet that is used to purify water in emergency situations. We used to carry them in Europe in the 40s. I also used to place a couple tablespoons of bleach in the fresh water tank of my old sailboat. It all comes down to an individuals constitution. I routinely handle pool chemicals. Some are alkali caustic, some are acetic caustic. I used to do a lot of cement finishing. These chemicals burn a lot of people. Then there are those who have no (perceived) ill affects.

FDA is recommending that all manufacturers of denture cleansers modify their
labeling to include warning information that the product contains
persulfates and recommends improving the directions for use on their labeling in order
to reduce misuse.

Hmmm, misuse. How DOES one use a denture cleanser? I believe it is wise to rinse everything which has been soaked in anything. The first thing you do when you get some sort of burny stuff in your eye(s) is to flush them with fresh water. For the sensitive, I think a warning is warranted, and appreciate you bringing this to everyones attention as I have placed dentures in my mouth several times without proper rinsing and they DIS taste strange. Kinda like wintergreen.

smo-joe

See the MedWatch 2008 safety summary, including links to the Public Health
Notification and "Advice for Patients", at:
_http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2008/safety08.htm#Denture_
(http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2008/safety08.htm#Denture)

(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel- campos-duffy/
2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)