Re: [Harp-L] Re: tooth-picks and all that

The wood is pushing against the nail all the time, that's what holds it in. When you take the nail out, the stress is relieved. It does not return to the pre-nail shape, but it does come back to where it wants to come back. When you take a harp apart the first time, you do not have to put the toothpick in. It's usually about the third time you take the harp apart that the nails won't hold. So, you put in the toothpick and it's good for another two or three times. It's not like the nail goes in the toothpick, the toothpick is just a shim in the bottom of the nail hole.  It doesn't fall out. You couldn't get it out if you wanted to. Since the toothpick tip gets pushed to the bottom, after the third toothpick tip shim you run a risk of cracking the comb. But, by the time you get to the third toothpick, you've taken the harp apart eight times. That's the point I'd bolt.  The only repair I have to take a harp apart for is changing a reed. I tune blow reeds
 with the covers on, so I hardly ever get to that point. What I do now is use bamboo splints for shims, it stays on the side more. I think I could use those forever without worry.
 I have bolted my 270. I've bolted some prewars and I do prefer bolted coverplates.
It's really all about nostalgia. With all the advancements in the harmonica and styles, the nailed harp is an obvious connection with Jacob Hohner, the Seydel brothers and all those innovators of days gone by. I don't believe that the wood makes a noticeable difference in tone, so there has to be only one real reason I like these things.... I'm a little bit eccentric.
I get a little chuckle when I take a new Seydel Chromatic DeLuxe apart for the first time. Seydel has it fitted with screws. Enough screws to sink a battleship. More than enough screws to do the job, but they left the nails right in there, too, every one of them.
If you lose the nails, it's like watching the last American-made television leave the factory, it's a hard thing for us nostalgic folks to see go.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com