RE: [Harp-L] Re: tooth-picks and all that

> I like to use rounded toothpicks to fill nail holes. When doing a job on a
> harp I'll take a sufficient quantity of them and snip them in half. The
> resulting half toothpick is easy to tap lightly into a nail hole with a
> hammer. Then an Exacto knife can be used to make a shallow cut on the
> toothpick flush with the comb surface so that the toothpick can be snapped
> off cleanly. Two spring clamps, placed either end, are then used to hold
> both reedplates and the comb together in position while the nails are
> hammered in. Alternatively, two nail holes can be left unfilled so
> that nails, set halfway in only, can be used to position the plate on the
> comb while the filled holes are nailed. Then the two positioning nails are
> removed, trimmed toothpicks are forced through the reedplate nail holes and
> the last two nails are replaced.
>
> Hammering in round toothpicks this way will completely fill the nail holes,
> giving the nails a secure bed to lie in. Care must be taken, however, not
> to hammer them in too far, as the nail might then subsequently split the
> comb.
>
> Best,
> Rick

Nice post, Rick, but you forgot the most crucial piece of advice of all, which I'm happy to provide now.   Simply this.  Under no circumstances must you ever try to work on Hohner nailed harps over a shag-pile carpet.  Never, ever.  Trust me, I've been there.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

http://www.searchgamesbox.com