Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Stage Presence

I read this, by Gary Popenoe...and then I remembered the last time  (and each
of the previous times) I went out of my way to  see Jason Ricci and New Blood
in one of their marathon 5 hour Live shows  (as I will again next week).

 I reread it...visualizing just how Jason conducts himself  onstage...and
thought about just what it is about him that connects so  viscerally with his
audience (besides his obvious talent), despite some  extremely lengthy songs and
instrumentals most other performers and  bands might not attempt...

What is that 'connection' between him and Shawn, Todd and now Ron that
brings people back time and again...braving snowstorms to come out to see him  and
his band, even to 'not so great' venues, where just spending an evening
listening to and watching Jason sing and play his harp, and play
point/counterpoint with Shawn Starkski's brilliant guitar work..ofttimes their  sounds so
intertwining one cannot tell where one leaves off and the other  begins... becomes
a celebratory reason to stay up all night and even an  occasion to miss work
the next day?  What is it about him that makes a  person a fan for
life....because let's face it, I haven't yet met one who's  backtracked?

 ....and Gary did nail it. No mistake. His understanding of this
audience/performer intimacy makes me ever more interested in seeing Gary  perform 'Live'
as well.

He wasn't talking about Jason Ricci in this post.  As a matter  of fact, he's
already said he doesn't 'get' the appeal of Jason's music  (although I'm not
sure he's ever been to a Live JR&NB show and I  would quite enjoy it if he got
a chance to attend a show in  person), but I digress...am digressing, rather
(that's a wee joke from one  of Jason's blogs).

Regardless, Jason does ... naturally, instinctively...everything Gary talks
about in his brilliant synopsis of the dynamics between performer and
audience in this extremely well written post. Perfection.

Elizabeth

"Intimacy.

You are having a conversation/party/relationship/sex with  the
audience. Be open to them like each is your best friend and  confidant.
Give them a chance to connect with who you are not just  what you are
playing.

Commit 150% to your performance. Do not  slack off and fiddle around.

Give your attention to the other players.  Remember you are having an
even more intense relationship with them  than with the audience. Give
the audience a chance to be in on that  relationship by enjoying it
openly.

Have command of your  material and instrument.

Don't watch yourself play.

Be in  celebration of this golden opportunity to have an audience.

If all that  sounds scary then you are not alone. Intimacy with a room
full of  strangers can terrify anyone.
It's ok to have butterflies. Just make them fly  in formation.

Gary Popenoe
Message: 12