Re: [Harp-L] Stage Presence

Stage presence means "owning your space" while performing. This means
different things for different people. However, the common link seems to be
authenticity - being true to yourself. If you are not, the audience picks up on  some
kind of phony vibe.

Being true to yourself has to come from an area of peace and comfort -
nothing forced.

Those new to the stage arena are usually too much inside their own heads
worrying about their playing to feel comfortable and in control, so there is
that time period in which one learns the skills one needs to be confident - I
don't believe you can skip this step. It is here that one feels/looks awkward
and doesn't project the right philosophy.

The shortest path is whichever one takes you out of your own head and those
thoughts about yourself that keep getting in the way of playing the music and
removing yourself from the equation. The "yourself" that needs removing is a
lot  of the EGO involved - EGO is more than "dig me, aren't I cool?". It is
also the  piece of you that has an angst about judgement from those listening -
or the  awareness of "EARS" out there making you nervous.

A great tool has been provided by Kenny Werner in his "Effortless Mastery"
book and dvd's and applies to all instruments, sold through Jamey  Abersold.

I agree that a video of you on stage will reveal a lot, especially when you
are on stage and "not playing". If you are aware of yourself and don't know
"what to do with yourself", you are no longer in the moment and are not
enjoying  the flow all around you. Learning how to "not play" on stage is valuable
and as  important as what you do while playing. Both eventually become the whole
 concept of stage presence.

I've seen introverted people become wild on stage, reverting back to
introverted once the music stops. I've seen performers dripping with such energy
that they absolutely crackle while playing and standing still.

There is no definitive answer. The solution may be found by discovering
yourself from within through the music.

The Iceman

In a message dated 2/25/2008 1:33:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,