Re: [Harp-L] Stage Presence

Also, If there was a break in the song where I didn't play, I would just stand motionless, both physical and music wise.

Frankly, if I'm not playing I find it polite to stand still and call no attention to myself. Let someone else own the stage. You were studying yourself in the video, and perhaps you wondered why you weren't doing anything when you didn't have anything to do. Well, like I say, at that point you were doing right.

I'm sure more suggestions are going to come up because this is a terrific thread you've started. Try everything that is suggested for when it's your stage. Use the things that feel natural and work well on the audience. Let your pardners have the focus when they're featured or you will lose their love.

Around 1975 a very young Steve Earle came to Nashville and was staying with the late, wonderful guitarist Champ Hood. As fast as you could meet this skinny, shy kid and hear his songs, you knew he was a very, very special artist. Guy Clark put him in his band for some shows and introduced him for a few songs, and he was amazing. He just stood there, looking down at the floor and knocked me over, as his songs gave him tremendous presence.

Ten years later, living in LA, another Nashville buddy and I suddenly remembered that kid who showed up in Nashville, and were sad that he had disappeared into the air.

Then suddenly he reappeared on the national scene, and the hype was that suddenly there was a "Country Springsteen." He made a much anticipated appearance on some national television show to promote his first major label record. Someone had told him he needed more stage presence, that if he was gonna be the Country Springsteen he was gonna have to move like Springsteen. So he bounced around the stage like a stiff monkey.

Frankly, I thought he looked ridiculous, totally false, totally not himself.

I'm pretty sure this was not his doing, because he'd completely toned it down the next time I saw him perform, and had gotten real. I guess he shouldn't have been staring at the floor, but frankly I thought that was the most powerful thing he could do. Second most, and pretty close, is the way he performs now.

This is to say, if you are absolutely dead-on certain that just standing there while you play is not working, try lots of stuff. Keep what works. You won't have to do alot. Find some impressive signature thing that you do at the beginning of your first solo of the night. Grab your audiences' eyeballs. But once you have their attention, grab their souls with your music. Now and then do something that you have discovered works, and at first you SHOULD overdo it, and then dial it back until you find the place where your physical things keep things interesting.

During one show around 1957, while playing his hit Whole Lotta Shakin', Jerry Lee Lewis got so excited he stood up and knocked over his piano bench. The audience went insane, completely wild. Nobody could have followed him after that.

The very next show he played he stood up and knocked over his piano bench at exactly the same moment in the song at which he had done it the first time, and the audience went insane - even though this time it was a total contrivance.

After that Jerry Lee always knocked over the piano at the exact same moment, and it always killed. I was at a music industry function in the mid-seventies, a room full of jaded execs and radio people, and Jerry Lee got up to do a few numbers. I had read about the piano bench bit, and had seen it on film. I knew it was coming. So did everyone else in that room. He wasn't even playing with his own band, and yet when he knocked the piano bench over this room full of grownup music professionals went insane, me included. It's weird, it's one of those things that makes you lose control when you see it even if you have seen it before.

Interestingly, as great a showman as Jerry Lee is, he did interspreses a few bits between a whole lot of just playing beautiful piano and singing hits without much more monkey business. People who have seen him often remember him as being a non-stop maniac, but I watched him closely a few times after that night, and the same bits killed me over and over, but he spaced them out with alot of straight playing. He started with a great bit, did a few more through the show and of course ended with Whole Lotta Shakin', drove the audience wild with the piano bench, finished and got off.

Try everything. When great accidents happen, the ones that get the audience on your side, make sure you can repeat them night after night because they are gold, and you will have achieved Stage Presence.

Ken