[Harp-L] Re: Second Reed Failure on Suzuki Firebreath

Thanks to Richard Hunter for posting this. Suzuki have gained a hard-won
reputation for astonishing reed longevity (the main reason I have chosen
to use Suzuki reedplates for the past 15 years), and it is indeed
disconcerting to hear when an experienced player has such a problem.

However, there are Reasons to be Cheerful:

1. The Firebreath has longer-slot reeds (aimed at improved overblow
performance) that are still new for Suzuki. I have been to the factory
and seen the care with which the designers and craftsmen attend to reed
profile, thickness, dimensions etc. If there is a longevity issue with
the longer reeds I am certain that Suzuki will work hard to cure it. An
important part of the process is getting feedback from players in lists
such as Harp-L and Suzuki, like the other companies, takes comments like
Richard's seriously.

2. Suzuki USA give a One Year guarantee on Suzuki harps. That is quite
unique in the harmonica business, and testament to a). their commitment
to player satisfaction and b). their confidence they won't go out of
business, due to the reliability of the instruments generally. Several
players have commented on the excellent support from Suzuki USA's Oz
Leguizamo when things do go wrong, which is reassuring to know when you
are buying a new harp.

We all know that reeds break from time to time with every brand, and if
everyone posted a comment to Harp-L whenever a reed failed the list
would collapse under the weight of posts :) In a way I guess Richard's
post is a back-handed compliment, as reed failure seems noteworthy in
this case because it's a relative rarity with Suzukis. But the improved
overblow performance of the Firebreath reeds shouldn't be gained at the
expense of reed life, and I'll pass on his comments to the factory.

Brendan
WEB: http://www.brendan-power.com <http://www.brendan-power.com/>