Re: [Harp-L]best out of the box

I'd say out of the box, the Seydel Favorite is way up there. It's got the best reedplate, and the German Silver looks nice, I think. I usually put a wood comb on them to make me happy with my wood fetish, and perhaps some have heard of the 1847 ;)
I'm also a big fan of the Hering 1923 out of the box. The 1923's Just tuning fits my style and I love the reedplates.
I really wish Hohner had not screwed up the original Marine Band with these junk (and possibly Chinese brass) reeds. My interest is piqued, if they used a decent reed, they may have something.

One thing I don't like about the DeLuxe is the new cover. It looks nice, but I really like the old cover. The new cover doesn't have Matthias Hohner's portrait on i like the original. I've enjoyed doing some engraving work on the old portrait... If you take an engraver and give Hohner little more hair and a full beard, a little fuzzier eyebrows and maybe a hat, it's the spitting image of Robert E. Lee. I guess Hohner's R&D department never considered that people wouldn't be able to make Robert E. Lee Marine Bands out of it, lol.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk RIver Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com