re: [Harp-L] To cup or not to cup.

-Spec20
  On my website under amplified tone I discuss the importance of a full tight cup and how to acheive it.  I think this is what you were referring to.  I don't believe this is for everyone though.  I put the article together to help those people who were looking for the fullest fattest amplified tone they could get.  I have a very good friend named Mike Meadors who is a great player with awesome tone who doesn't use a perfectly sealed tight cup but still has amazing amplified tone.  There a lot of players I hear that use everthing from a tight cup to a loose cup and many sound wonderful.  I think it all comes down to things like musical ideas, note presentation and a plethora of other techniques.  Like everyone has already said, it's a matter of what you like.  I like a tight cup for most 2nd positon stuff but on 3rd postion I usually use a looser cup and to keep from overdriving the amp too much.  Best thing to do is to keep an open mind musically and try both.  It can be
 difficult to get used to the tight cup but it really does come in short order. You just have to persevere  an it will come.

  Thanks,
  BrianP

Brian Purdy

Harp Gear Amplification