Re: [Harp-L] Norton not Ricci

On Feb 20, 2008, at 9:39 AM, Walter Joyce wrote:

FWIW, John Mayall would have just turned 40 in 1973. He was one of my earliest influences.

Walter Joyce

Yeah Walter. I'm really glad you brought this up because it gives me a chance to redeem myself. I wasn't trying to be the all seeing all knowing authority yesterday. I was just giving an opinion and hope no one took it the wrong way. I am not an expert on these matters, and would venture out and go as far as to say that Rob Paparrozzi, and Madcat, and Elizabeth are probably more knowledgeable on these matters.

In other words I'm not saying that I'm right. I'm just making an educated guess. It so happens that I have no recollection of ever seeing nor having heard Norton Buffalo until around 2003. I mean I had heard the name but couldn't put a face to the name. Certainly not an 'early' face. Whereas, I HAD seen Butterfield and Mayall....up close.

Depending on WHEN this video was made, would make a BIG difference. As John Mayall wore very long hair (much like Arlo Guthrie), and a wirey goatee. Unlike Guthrie, however, (who was kinda cute), he had a rather menacing look, and piercing steeley grey? eyes. It wasn't until you got close to him and his size became apparent that the menacing part slipped away.

So: A video shot in 1968. Mayall would be 35, Butterfield would be 25, 'I' would be 25, Norton would be only 15.
" " " 1973. Mayall 40, Butterfield 30, Norton 20
" " " 1978. Mayall 45, Butterfield 35, Norton 25

Sooo, to make a long story short, I used 'facial degresssion', and, to me anyway, the person looks to be around 20-25, doesn't have high cheekbones, isn't gaunt. The only thing that matches both is the weight (maybe 154 lbs). As for the hat. That doesn't phase me as I have a hat (with concho) that is similar to the ones worn by Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bo Diddley, Charley McCoy.

In conclusion, Of the three, the only player whose music I followed was Mayall's. I don't know anything about the other two.

smokey-joe